You are watching: 2002 ford explorer 4.0 intake manifold removal
Engine & Drivetrain How-To & DIY articles pertaining to the "Engine & Drivetrain" in this sub-forum.
Hi, A while back i changed my upper intake gaskets and also thought i"d carry out a create up. This is my an initial how to and is in it"s rough draft stage best now. I hope this helps out somebody. At an extremely least we will get some an excellent pics the end of this. Well, here goes.......... How to change upper entry gaskets on a 97 ranger 4.0 OHV engineThis how to is not necessarily the best and also not necessarily the only means go around this repair. But it operated for me. Try THIS at YOUR very own RISK. That being said, lets have at it!!!1. Disconnect the an adverse battery terminal. - Be certain the engine is cool sufficient to work-related on. Don"t forget your safety glasses.2. Disconnect the the MAF and also ATI electrical connectors. Disconnect the PCV water tap from the air intake tube. - Pull the end on the PCV hose and also work the around and it"ll come out.
3. Disconnect the accellerator splash shield and also disconnect the accellerator and cruise controll cables. - The splash shield comes off with 2 bolts. - friend will need to pry the cable assemblly off of the sphere stud ~ above the throttle body. - Pry the plastic ends of the cables apart come seperate them. Be carefull no to rest them!! -When they space seperated, push in ~ above the plastic retainer that secures the accellerator cable and also remove the cable from the bracket. -Press in through a screw driver on the hole listed below the cruise controll cable come undo clip and remove the cable. The cable will lift turn off the bracket.
4. Disconnect all electric connectors and vacum lines from the intake. It is a an excellent idea to lable and also make keep in mind of materials as girlfriend disconncet them. Additionally make keep in mind of exactly how spark plug wires and vac lines space routed. Coil load - Disconnect the wiring harness and spark plug wires. Drown the 4 bolts that host on the coil pack. Eliminate the coil pack. IAC - Disconnect the electric connector. You can remove the IAC valve if desired. TPS -Undo the connector. DPFE - Disconnect the electric connector. I made decision to cancel the bolts and let the sensor dangle by the hoses. EGR transduser -Undo the electric connector. Undo the bolts. I did no disconnect the vac lines. Brake booster water tap -Squeeze the clamp to ease it. Traction the hose off. PCV valve - same as above. You perform not should remove the valve. Just disconnect the water tap from the intake. Vac - pull turn off the vacum heat connector from the intake. Engine wiring harness connector - Don"t have to disconnect it. Just remove the from the mounting bracket. Push in top top the tab on optimal to release it. - over there is additionally a bundle the wires that is held in location by a push connector ~ above the back of the intake. EGR - friend only may need to disconnect the vac heat on top. Just pull the off.
5. Remove the accelerator body. -Undo the 4 bolts that hold it on come the intake. There will certainly be one Evaporative Emissions hose underneath the throttle body. Disconnect it. Don"t mess roughly with anything els ~ above the accelerator body, you might mess increase the place of the accelerator plate avoid screw.
6. Eliminate the upper intake - cancel the 6 nuts that organize the upper intake on. Some might be extended by a cap. - Be sure that every little thing is disconnected native the intake. - pull up top top the intake and lift it off of the studs. ~ it gets rid of the studs turn it left and also pull up. The finish of the EGR pipe curves within of the intake. Set the intake aside once you have it off.
7. Remove the fuel line nuts. -Undo the fuel line nut(s). Gas may squirt out. - (97 and also before) undo the 2 bolts that host the fuel push regulator on the fuel manifold. 8. Drown the studs that hold the fuel manifold on. And remove the fuel manifold. - when the studs room removed, seize the fuel manifold , pull up and rock it earlier and 4th till it comes off. Several of the fuel injectors may stay top top the fuel manifold. If so, eliminate them and collection them ago in the engine. Change the injector o ring if needed.9. Clean off the old gasket. - Laquer thinner or acetone will certainly help. Simply work with it because that a while. 10. Brand-new gasket and put earlier on the fuel manifold. - placed a little bit of motor oil ~ above the injector o-rings to aid lubericate them. -lay the brand-new gasket ~ above the reduced manifold. Be certain the injectors room in the holes in the engine and fuel manifold. Push the fuel manifold under to collection the injectors in place.
11. Download the studs and also tighten lock 84-120 in/lbs (says haynes)
12. Change the gaskets ~ above the under next of the top intake. You may need something sharp to pry castle out.
See more: Does Cefdinir Have To Be Refrigerated Overnight Shipping, Cefdinir: Medlineplus Drug Information
13. Download the intake, fuel lines, throttle body, whatever you disconnected and also the entry tube. 14. Take it a minute to check and also be sure that every point is connected propperly. Also check for any tools friend may have actually left in the engine bay.15. Start it up. Fix complete!!Notes:1. The end of the EGR tube curves inside the intake toward the tb. This provides it kinda of difficult to get the entry off.2. I bought all my gaskets at my regional ford dealership. Castle totalled about $20. The guy at the parts respond to gave me one exploded view of mine intake because that free.3. Once i began my engine afterward my idle speed was at around 2000rpm. "Well, Sh*t !!!!! something"s not correct " was my very first thought. I began to inspect for vacum leaks and also found none. Then ns noticed my idle speed was down to 1500rpm. Every time friend disconnect her battery the computer system forgets that strategy,but 2000rpm appeared kinda high. Ns went for a drive and it appeared to it is in fine. When i got earlier my idle rate was normal. I was worried ns did something however it was simply the computer system relearning.4. The factor i replaced my gaskets is because my engine it s okay a lean problem whenever it gets cold outside. I"ll need to wait a while because that winter to view if i have done any type of good. 5. Top top 1997 4.0 engines(like mine) ford determined used a file gasket without any type of rubber. These document gaskets have actually been known to reason leaks. Because then ford has readjusted it come a brand-new gasket v rubber. Well, there it is expect you delighted in it!! like i said prior to this is my very first how to and i am open to suggestions. Please let me recognize if ns left out or walk anything wrong.