1. What specifically is a computer, and what are its 4 main functions? Computers are tools that procedure data. They assist organize, sort, and categorize data to turn it into information. The computer’s four major functions are: (1) input: conference data, or enable users to get in data; (2) process: manipulate, calculate, or organize the data; (3) output: display screen data and also information in a kind suitable for the user; and (4) storage: save data and also information for later use. 2. What is the difference in between data and also information?Data is a depiction of a reality or idea. The number 3 and the native televisions and Sony space pieces the data. Info is data that has actually been organized or presented in a coherent fashion. One inventory list that indicates that “three Sony televisions” space in stock is handle information. It permits a sleeve clerk come answer a client query about the accessibility of merchandise.
You are watching: Information is data that has been organized or presented in a meaningful fashion
information is much more powerful 보다 raw data. 3. What are bits and also bytes, and also how space they measured?To process data right into information, computer systems need to job-related in a language they understand. This language, dubbed binary language, consists of two numbers: 0 and 1. Each 0 and also each 1 is a binary digit, or bit. Eight bits create one byte. In computers, each letter that the alphabet, each number, and each one-of-a-kind character is composed of a unique combination of eight bits (one byte)—a wire of eight 0s and 1s. For describing huge amounts of storage capacity, the state megabyte (approximately 1 million bytes), gigabyte (approximately 1 billion bytes), terabyte (approximately 1 sunshine bytes), and petabyte (1,000 terabytes) space used.
Input Devices and also Output gadgets 4. What gadgets can I usage to obtain data into the computer?An input maker enables friend to enter data (text, images, and sounds) and also instructions (user responses and also commands) into a computer. Girlfriend use key-boards to enter typed data and also commands, conversely, you use the mouse to enter user responses and also commands. Touch screens are screen screens that respond to regulates initiated through a touch v a finger or a stylus. Photos are input into the computer system with scanners, digital cameras, camcorders, and smartphones. Live video is caught with webcams and digital video recorders. Microphones record sounds. There are numerous different types of microphones, consisting of desktop, headset, and also clip-on models.
5. What devices can I use to get information out of the computer?Output devices enable you come send processed data out of her computer. It have the right to take the kind of text, pictures, sounds, or video. Monitors screen soft duplicates of text, graphics, and video, whereas printers create hard duplicates of text and graphics. There room two major categories of printers: inkjet and also laser. Specialty printers are likewise available. These encompass all-in-one printers, plotters, and also thermal printers. When picking a printer, you have to be conscious of determinants such together speed, resolution, shade output, and also cost. Speakers room the output gadgets for sound. Most computer systems include speakers; more-sophisticated systems include subwoofers and also surround sound.
Processing, Memory, and also Storage
6. What’s on the motherboard?The motherboard, the key circuit board of the system, includes a computer’s CPU, which collaborates the features of all other gadgets on the computer. The performance of a CPU is affected by the speed of the processor (measured in GHz), the amount of cache memory, and also the number of processing cores. RAM, the computer’s volatile memory, is additionally located top top the motherboard. Lamb is where all the data and instructions are organized while the computer is running. ROM, a permanent form of memory, is responsible for housing instructions to assist start increase a computer. The motherboard also houses slots for expansion cards, i beg your pardon have certain functions that augment the computer’s straightforward functions. Usual expansion cards room sound and video clip cards.
7. Where room information and programs stored?To save programs and also information permanently, you have to save them to the difficult drive or to one more permanent storage maker such together a DVD or speed drive, or come the cloud. The tough drive is your computer’s primary device for long-term storage the software and also files. The tough drive is a nonvolatile warehouse device, meaning it holds the data and also instructions your computer needs permanently, also after the computer is turned off. Mechanical hard drives have actually spinning platters on i beg your pardon data is saved, whereas newer solid-state cd driver (SSDs) usage solid-state memory, similar to that provided with flash drives. Exterior hard cd driver are essentially internal difficult drives that have been make portable by enclosing them in a security case and making them little and lightweight. Cloud storage describes nonvolatile storage places that are preserved on the internet (in the “cloud”) by companies such as Dropbox. Storing your data in the cloud enables you to access it from almost any computing maker that is associated to the Internet. Optical drives that have the right to read from and also write come CD, DVD, or Blu-ray discs room another way of permanent, portable storage. Data is conserved to CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs as pits the are burned into the disc by a laser. Flash drives are another portable method of save data. Flash drives plug into USB ports. Flash memory cards allow you deliver digital data in between your computer and devices such together digital cameras, smartphones, video cameras, and also printers.
Ports and also Power Controls 8. Exactly how are devices connected to the computer?There is a wide range of ports that al low you come hook up peripheral tools (such as your monitor and keyboard) to her system. The fastest kind of port offered to attach devices to a computer system is the Thunderbolt port. The most common type of port offered to affix devices to a computer system is the USB port. FireWire ports provide additional options for data transfer. Connectivity ports, such as Ethernet ports, provide you accessibility to networks and the Internet. HDMI ports space the most usual multimedia port. Castle are used to affix monitors, TVs, and gaming consoles to computer devices and handle both audio and video data. Audio port are offered to connect headphones, microphones, and also speakers to computing devices.
See more: How Long Do Cigarettes Stay Fresh, How Long Before Cigarettes Go Stale
9. Those the best way to revolve my computer system on and also off, and when must it it is in done? Power top top your computer system from a completely turned-off state. In windows 8.1, you have the right to turn your computer system off by pressing the computer’s power switch or by using the close up door down alternative from the strength icon found on the start screen. V the power-management choices of windows 8.1, for example, you only should shut down your computer fully when you need to repair or install hardware in the system unit or relocate it to one more location. However, if you usage your computer only because that a little while every day, it would be best to strength it off totally after each day-to-day use. Setting It all Up 10. Exactly how do I set up my computer system to avoid strain and also injury?Ergonomics refers to exactly how you arrange her computer and equipment to minimize your threat of injury or discomfort. Ergonomics has positioning her monitor correctly, purchase an flexible chair, assuming a proper position while typing, making certain the bright is adequate, and also not looking at the display screen for long periods. Other an excellent practices encompass taking regular breaks and using particularly designed tools such as ergonomic keyboards. Ergonomics is also important to consider when using mobile devices. Be sure to examine out the companion website or MyITLab for extr materials to assist you review and also learn—pearsonhighered.com/techinaction. And don’t forget the Replay Videos.