Magnesium sulfide stood for by the chemical formula MgS the bears the IUPAC surname sulfanylidenemagnesium <1> is a white crystalline not natural compound the is moderately soluble in water and also acid <3>. It is an ionic link of magnesium and sulfur <6>.

You are watching: The correct chemical formula for magnesium sulfide is


*

Magnesium Sulfide


Magnesium Sulfide Identification

CAS Number12032-36-9 <1>
PubChem CID82824 <1>
ChemSpider ID8305407 <2>
EC Number234-771-1 <1>

How to make It

Magnesium sulfide deserve to be formed by a reaction in between hydrogen sulfide and magnesium <4>.

H2S + Mg = MgS + H2


*

Magnesium Sulfide Formula


Properties and also Characteristics that Magnesium Sulfide

General Properties

Molar mass/molecular weight56.365 g/mol <1>

Physical Properties

Color/appearanceWhite come reddish-brown flour <3>
Melting point/freezing point>2000°C, >3632°F <3>
Boiling pointN/A <3>
Density 2.68 g cm-3 <3>
State of issue at room temperature (normal phase)Solid <3>

Chemical Properties

Solubility in waterDecomposes <3>

Atomic Properties

Crystal structureHalite (cubic) <3>

*

Magnesium Sulfide Structure


Prominent Reactions

Magnesium sulfide reacts v water creating hydrogen sulfide and also magnesium hydroxide <5>.

MgS + 2H2O = H2S + Mg(OH)2

It reacts through phosphoric acid to provide magnesium phosphate and hydrogen sulfide <7>.

3MgS + 2H3PO4 = Mg3(PO4)2 + 3H2S

Magnesium sulfide reacts v hydrochloric acid to develop magnesium chloride and hydrogen sulfide <8>.

MgS + 2HCl = MgCl2 + H2S

It reacts with nitric acid offering magnesium nitrate and hydrogen sulfide <9>.

MgS + 2HNO3 = Mg(NO3)2 + H2S

Magnesium Sulfide (MgS) Uses

Being a large band-gap direct semiconductor, the finds applications as a blue-green emitter and also photodetector because that ultraviolet light of quick wavelength <4>.As a laboratory reagent <10>.

See more: How Do You Say Remove In Spanish ? Remove In Spanish

Is the Dangerous

It may record fire if big quantities space self-heated. MgS is acutely toxic when swallowed or carried in call with skin and eyes causing eye damage. That is corrosive and very harmful to aquatic life. The link is hazardous once it come in contact with moisture developing poisonous hydrogen sulfide gas <1, 4>.