Democracy is deemed to it is in the ideal system of government in the civilization today. This is so due to the fact that the device tends to safeguard the attention of citizens first. Currently, many of the countries of the world (including the world power, USA) exercise a democratic system of government. In this article, i will certainly be discussing every little thing you should know about democracy. Basically, we will certainly be looking at the an interpretation of democracy, functions of democracy, merits or advantages of democracy and also the demerits or disadvantages of democracy in a state.
You are watching: The most essential feature of democratic government is
Nonetheless, i will certainly elaborate much more on the features of democracy. If you have actually been in search of an post that comprehensively defines democracy and its features, this is because that you.
Meanwhile, prior to moving to the crux of this topic, ns would favor to offer some rudimentary information around democracy and its origin. This will help you to understand rapidly as soon as i will go into details. So, let’s gain started!
Table that Content
Origin and meaning of Democracy
What space the features of a autonomous government?
Democracy is a Greek word which literally method “rule by the people“. That is a kind of government in which the world have the government to select their governing legislation. In a democratic state or government, the supreme power of the state is awarded on the people because they do political decisions that concerns the state either straight or with representatives periodically appointed through them.
This an interpretation has been corroborated by the Oxford Learner’s Dictionary. It defines democracy together government by the people; a kind of government in i beg your pardon the supreme power is awarded in the people and exercised straight by castle or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
In this device of democracy, the citizens the citizens through election, elect those that will represent and also govern the state on their behalf. This is opposed to the direct democracy whereby everyone is actively participating in the administration of the day. This form of democracy changed the direct democracy in contemporary states together it is impossible for everyone to participate as result of the big number the people.
Characteristics/Features the Democracy
Below are the key characteristics that democracy:Existence the the ConstitutionPopular participation in politicsLegitimacyPeriodic electionSeparation of powerChecks and balancesExistence of politics partiesEquality prior to the lawFundamental human rights
In short, those are the attributes of a democratic state. Nonetheless, as we continue, every of this features above will it is in comprehensively discussed. I enjoin friend to continue reading carefully as i will painstakingly explain everything you should know.
Also read: difficulties of the Legal profession in Nigeria
1. Presence of the Constitution: In every democratic nation, over there is typically the visibility of a constitution which is either composed or written. A constitution deserve to simply be identified as the fundamental laws or rules which travel guide a state or society. It develops the establishments of the federal government such as the legislature, the executive and the judiciary and also define their powers. The constitution additionally contains the rights and duties that the citizens and the government.
What are the attributes of democracy?
It is imperative to keep in mind that there are two types of organizations namely: Formal and also informal institutions. Official instructions space those i m sorry discharge formal features such as the 3 arms of the government. ~ above the other hand, infomal establishments are those i m sorry discharge informal responsibilities such as the political parties and also the press. In a autonomous society, the constitution generally state just how these institutions functions.
2. Famous participation in politics: One the most essential features of democracy is well-known participation in politics. Native the meaning of democracy defined above, the is clean that any system i m sorry does no encourages human being to take part in the political decision making of the federal government is no democratic.
Consequently, popular participation is not just a attribute of democracy, that is an important part that the system. Civilization have to take part in national politics either directly or through a representative which is legitimately well-known by them.
Popular joining as vital characteristics the a autonomous society
Take for instance, in Nigeria (a federal system), human being at the regional level, who have the right to not actively participate in national politics at the central level, are enabled to selected senators who represent their opinions at the central level. No doubt, well-known participation in politics is among the features of democracy that cannot it is in jettisoned.
3. Legitimacy: When i was in second school, i was taught that Legitimacy is the recognition of of the human being of a state, the ideal of their leaders come govern. This an interpretation of Legitimacy is actually really short and also understandable.
Oxford dictionary specifies democracy as as soon as there is conformity to the law or to rules. Ns personally agree with the meaning of Legitimacy in political scientific research which Wikipedia claims is the right and acceptance of an authority, usually a governing legislation or a regime.
list of Democracy features and explanation
I explained earlier the in a democratic state, the world are allowed to pick who to govern them. This is what is recognized as Legitimacy. Here, the people will unanimously agree on who will carry out their political affairs.
This is generally done through voting and also it is recognized by the regulation which the human being have consented to. Apparently, this is why Abraham Lincoln stated that democracy is a federal government of the people, through the people and for the people. This postulates that in a autonomous state the world are really key.
4. Regular election: Since the civilization are the supreme in a democratic state, there is normally a fixed tenure for conducting elections. This is to make certain that the political strength of the state is not concentrated in a single hand. In the United claims of America because that instance, the chairman of the United states is elected indirectly come a four-year term, with a term border of 2 terms.
In Nigeria, the president is to stay for four years in office ~ which another election will be conducted.
Characteristics the a autonomous state
It is pertinent to note that regular elections is a very essential function of democracy because, where there is one specific leader administering the work of a state for eternity, that state cannot be claimed to be a autonomous state. The human being must be permitted to choose and readjust their leaders due to the fact that they are supreme.
5. Separation the power: Separation of power is a political principle by Charles-Louis de Secondat, baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu, an 18th century French social and also political philosopher. It way that the political strength of a state should not be focused in one single hand. It should rather it is in separated and sheared to avoid dictatorship.
Here, the political strength of the state room shared in between the eight of federal government (That is, the Executive, Legislature and also the Judiciary). The Legislature provides the regulation of the state. The executive implements the law and the judiciary interprets the law.
describe attributes of democracy
These powers are separated such that, there will be no interference in your activities. There eight of government are only allowed to check the tasks of each various other to ensure that they all conform to the regulation of the state i m sorry the civilization agrees with.
6. Checks and also balances: The concept check and also balances is an extension of the concept of separation that powers. It was propounded through Montesquieu in his publication titled “The heart of the Laws“. According to research, Montesquieu’s theory of checks and balances is a principle of federal government under which different branches room empowered to stop actions by other branches and are induced come share power.
What are the attributes of democracy?
In that same light, checks and also balances in a democratic state, ensures that the different arms of government checks the actives of each other. Take because that instance, if the legislature renders a legislation that it is no supposed, or prohibited native making, the judiciary have the right to declare such legislation to be null and void.
It need to be noted that because that the rule of Checks and balances to be effective, there is need to provide each eight autonomy to act on their own but not exterior what is provided in the law.
Financial autonomy is also really important come ensure the effectiveness of checks and balances in a democratic government. No doubt, the is a an extremely important attribute of democracy.
7. Visibility of political parties: A political party is a union of choose minded human being who come with each other to take it over strength power. In a autonomous state, there have to be politics parties. Not just one politics party but two or more.
This is to ensure the the masses have different selections to select from. A one party state cannot be said to it is in a autonomous state due to the fact that there is simply one political party in the state. So the civilization does no really have any option.
Merits and demerits that democracy
Just like I have defined earlier. Democracy postulates that the human being are Supreme and also as such, they have the power to decide who will provide their political affairs. Conversely, a state whereby there is no politics party or simply one political party or wherein the people are not enabled to select anybody they desire as leader, is not a democratic state.
Also read: Why are lawyers liars? view the factor here
8. Equality prior to the law: In a true autonomous state, over there is equity prior to the law. This kind of government does no encourage the idea the some class of citizens have to or must not be punished for your actions. Also the legit leaders in a democratic state are required to confront the law throughout or ~ their service of the nation.
key functions of democracy
Equality is a an essential feature the democracy due to the fact that it postulates that citizens have actually thesame civil liberties to vote and also to it is in voted for. This way that all votes casted in a democratic state throughout election is valid, no withstanding riches or position of the human who casted the vote. This is specifically what is dubbed equality.
9. An essential human rights: Fundamental person rights space also an extremely important functions of a autonomous state. They are those inalienable and also immutable best that is offered to a member the a state as quickly as he/she is born.
These civil liberties helps to defend the citizen of the state indigenous molestations by dictators. This is why that is vital that the fundamental human rights of world in a democratic state be entrenched in the constitution of every state.
key attributes of democracy in US, Nigeria, China, Africa
In the structure of the commonwealth republic of Nigeria because that instance, the ideal to human being dignity is defended under section 4 that the constitution. This right protects the citizen of Nigeria from any kind of act by another person that degrades their dignity.
There are other fundamental human rights that also assist to ensure effective practice the democracy. The liberty of the press is among them. Evidently, press flexibility is among the vital pillars of a autonomous state. The is also one the the main functions of democracy.
Merits and also Demerits that a autonomous Government
Below room the advantages and defect of democracy:
Merits of democracy
1. Democracy helps to protect against dictatorship in government. This is apparently why the rule of separation the powers is one of the functions of democracy. Thus, the political strength of a autonomous state cannot lie in the hands of one man.
2. Democracy calls for the consent the the people. it is the federal government of the people, by the people and for the people. Which method that the people in every autonomous state room the Supreme. They decide the plan to implement and the plan not come implement.
3. Democracy urges justice because there is equality prior to the law. Thus, in a true democracy, citizen must challenge the consequences of your actions in regulation regardless the their wide range or politics office.
4. In a democratic state everyone is carried along in the tasks of the state. The majority have their means and the minority have actually their say. This way that no group in a true democracy is neglected. The is a federal government for everyone including the minorities.
5. Democracy encourages faster financial growth. Native the framework of a autonomous government, the is evident that this kind of federal government largely motivates growth and advance in the financial of the state.
Demerits of democracy:
1. Corruption: it is said that there is constantly a high rate of corruption in most democratic state. This is apparently as a an outcome of the hunger by greedy leaders to meet their personal or selfish understanding in government.
2. Expense of the system: that is also very expensive to operation a democratic government. Check the amount of money that will certainly be invested on conducting vote in the state periodically. Also, democracy incorporates various other political principles which space also very expensive come run. This is taken into consideration as one of the flaw of running a democratic state.
3. Democracy is probably impossible where the masses space not enlightened enough to know that they have the right to vote and also to be voted for. In other words, democracy might not it is in feasible in a state through many human being who room not politics enlightened.
4. Lastly, the is suggested by numerous scholars that there can not be a true democracy in a state. This scholar postulates the democracy is a combination of countless theories which even though they room compatible, cannot be truely exercised in any kind of state. There must be definitely be a lacuna in the government and also this is true to some extent.
In conclusion, that is noticeable from the features of democracy highlighted above, the democracy is a good form of government. Nonetheless, it should additionally be detailed that this system of federal government (Democracy) may not fit every country since the means of life that every nation is no the same.
See more: When Was I Write Sins Not Tragedies Released, I Write Sins Not Tragedies
In short, i am the the see that democracy is no the best kind of federal government for every state. No type of government is the best generally. It wholesomely counts on the people practicing that type of government.
I would favor to hear from girlfriend if you have any kind of question or donation to make on this topic. Carry out well come send the via the comment section. I will certainly be glad to here from you!