Slang is very informal language or spesific words used by a particular group of people. You’ll usually hear slang spoken more often 보다 you’ll view it placed in writing, despite emails and also texts regularly contain numerous conversational slang words.
You are watching: What does daebak in korean mean
Now, Korean culture works the very same way. Koreans have slang to distinguish standard Korean, often found in composed forms, from the oriental that’s supplied in day-to-day conversations. In the instance of an ext widespread slang, the in-group becomes most oriental natives engaged in conversation.
In this articles Channel Korea would certainly explain more about korean slang words, the meaning of the word Daebak, its offers in daily conversation, intake of oriental slang indigenous in daily life, and also a bit about other korean slang.
What is Daebak’s Meaning?
대박 is a slang hatchet in Korean, used amongst mostly youth or young adults to express when something happens the is good, cool, fun, etc.
It originally meant “jackpot” or “unexpected an excellent thing”, so the meaning of the now-slang ax is basically a happy outcry for once you feel choose you obtained lucky or miscellaneous went her way.
It way jackpot or a huge success, originally, however now people likewise use it as soon as they space surprised/shocked as an exclamation. That can additionally be provided in a sarcastic way.
Furthermore, if you’re through a near friend and they space telling friend a story, and they speak something which you think is really awesome, you could just to speak “Daebak!” to show your interest.
You can additionally use it around hot stuff. When you go shopping and find something you know is really an excellent but so cheap, you could say “Daebak!”
It’s a indigenous that’s used when something is an extremely exciting. It’s supplied to speak ‘대박’ and also ‘대박이다’. The course, it is also used once you are greatly urged through irony or as soon as your work is substantially distorted.
Shortly, Daebak is supplied like one exclamation word expressing the speaker’s massive feeling, plus the speaker’s surprise, which infers that the speaker didn’t know about the content till (s)he is reported.
In conclusion, “daebak” is a slang ax in the korean language that is supplied when something an excellent or cool happens.
Daebak’s offers in daily Conversation
The usage of exclamations through young world is diverse. This is culture talk amongst young oriental speakers. Since it is a word that is used really often in modern-day Korean, especially amongst young people, it shows up frequently in dramas and is generally defined as the admiration offered by high school girls.
origin indigenous 흥부전Bg
Bigourd = 대 박
Heungbu heals the swallow’s legs and also gets the seeds of a large gourd indigenous the swallow.A big gourd grows and also many gold and silver prizes come out of it. The opposite is one impurity that way small gourds (e.g., 쪽박)
They use that word when acquire surprised, together well. That doesn’t only have actually a confident meaning, but you also could usage it once expressing shock. So, you deserve to just recognize that’s a surprise expression.
1.A: 그 남자애가 나 좋아한데(Geu namjaaega na joahande)Apparently, he likes me.
B: 대박, 진짜?( Daebak, jinjja?No way, seriously?
2. A: 나 지갑 잃어 버렸어(Na jigab iro boryeosseo)I’ve lost my purse
B: 헐, 대박! 가방 다시 잘 찾아봐!(Heol, daebak! Kabang dasi jal chajabwa!)What the.. Look right into your bag again!
3. A: 이거 대박이다 완전 신기해.(Igeo daebakida wanjeon singihae)Wow this is so cool, the unbelievable.
B: 그치?(Geuchi?)I know, right?
Sometimes you will see words that you wouldn’t understand easily. That’s because of a social difference. Carry out not try to obtain it by force, but try to view as numerous examples as you have the right to to understand when you can use it.
Usage of korean Slang native in everyday Life
Millenial people, or well-known with Generation Z, have actually some upgrade behavior or their own fashion in style, foods, hobbies, and even in uses of the native in their conversations.
This phenomenon additionally happens amongst Korean young people. They use slang native so lot beside officially language, to exclude larger people. If they room making conversation, or talking through their friend or through others of same period or younger, they generally use slang indigenous in their day-to-day conversation.
We have the right to see it in oriental dramas or selection shows. Even idols use slang words a lot these days. This conversation can be positive, due to the fact that they look much more relaxed and easier to approach.
Other korean Slang Words
These days, korean young human being use plenty of slang words in their daily conversation. Lock express your feelings or your thoughts through slang words, and also even shorten the words or use it’s initial. This are some of the oriental slang words that young human being use therefore much:
1. 대박 (Daebak), an interpretation Jackpot, large hit, amazing, etc.
Ex: 이거 대박이다 완전 신기해.(Igeo daebakida wanjeon singihae)Wow is for this reason cool, that unbelievable.
2. 훈남/훈녀(Hum nam/Hum neo) – This term refers to a person who is charming and gives turn off a soft/gentle aura. Usually, they look responsible.
Ex: 요즘은 미남보다는 훈남이 인기가 더많죠.(Yojeumeun mi nam bo da neun hun man i in gi ga deo manh jyo).Nowadays, charming males are more popular than hot guys.
3. 엄친아 (Um-chin-ah)/ 엄친딸 (Um-chin-dtal) This is an abbreviation term native the phrase “엄마친구의 아들/딸”, which means my mom’s friend’s son. Um from mother (Um-ma), Chi,n from friend (Chin-gu), and ah, from boy (Ah-deul) or dtal, from words daughter. It’s offered to refer to guys/girls who are an excellent at everything.
Ex: 걔 학벌도좋고, 착하고, 완전 잘생겼어.엄친아야.(Gyae hakbeoldo joh go, chakha go, wan jeon jal saeng gyeoss eo. Eom chin a ya)He has actually a great educational background, nice, and also is at sight attractive. He is an eom chin a.
4. 행쇼 (Haeng-syo) – This phrase, popularized through Korea’s music/fashion/trend symbol G-dragon, is a reduce word for 행복하십쇼
Ex: 나먼저갈께, 행쇼.(Na meon jeo gal kke, haeng syo)I’m walking to leave first, peace.
5. 얼추 (eol chu) – roughly, approximately.
Ex: 다해서얼추얼마야?(Da hae seo eol chu eol ma ya?)How lot is it approximately, in total?
6. 갑이다/을이다 (gab i da/ eur ns da)– Gab/Eur room words provided to refer the power dynamic in between two human being or groups. Gab to represent the human with much more power, and also eur is the subjugated. This consumption was popularized through a segment of a comedy present called Gag Concert, called, “Gab/Eur company”, wherein the comedians offered satire top top Korea’s that company culture.
Ex: 결혼전에는, 여자가 갑이지. 결혼후에는 남자가 갑이고.(gyeol hon jeon e neun, yeo ja ga gab ns ji. Geyol hon hu e neun, nan ja ga gab ns go.)Before marriage, the mrs is the gab. After ~ marriage, the guy is the gab.
7. 짱 (jjang)- ‘awesome’ or ‘the best’, and also it deserve to be used as one adjective or as an affix. As an adjective, girlfriend would use this slang to explain someone or something that is the best.
Ex: 넌 짱이다!( neon jjangida)You room awesome!
8. 헐 (heol)- No way, five my gosh, Wah
Ex: 헐? 및젔나봐(Heol? Micheonnabwa)Oh mine gosh? This is crazy.
See more: How Many Gallons Does A 2002 Chevy Impala Gas Tank Size, Chevrolet Impala
That’s some instances of oriental slang words, and you deserve to find more in an additional article.